Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Baking is my new exercise

Yes, I know baking is nothing new for me. It's my other past time. Some people, knit, bake, spin, weave, stitch, make soap and sew (and some do them ALL --I'm looking at you Araignee!) but I seem to do alright with knitting and baking alone. ;)

So last night I took to battle with flour, and sugar and then some ...


My back is much better, but not good enough for exercise, physical therapy, chiropractor or massage. I can't sit still for too long but I don't necessarily like moving a lot either, therefore baking has become my new exercise. I'm taking steroids and I need activity to keep the crazy at bay.


I shuffle just enough and for certain tasks can sit down and relax a little bit. These are Peach Cobbler "Scones". They are not too sweet and a good vehicle for peaches in the morning. They would be a welcome addition to any summer brunch. This was my first pass. I would do it again, but I might modify the assembly. I haven't decided yet. Conceptually I liked it and I got a lot of compliments on the flavor and bake.


Let's talk about bread. Bread is kind of like lace for me. I love the idea of it but I'm kind of overwhelmed by it and at times feel like it's just a challenge from the universe. Such a challenge that I decided to try 2 recipes at the same time. This wouldn't be so much of an issue except that both recipes yield 2 loaves and I only have 2 loaf pans... so I used a brownie pan. What? It's bread, it baked ...


It's really about yeast. I look for big foaming action and usually don't get it if I'm either not using instant yeast. I think I don't manage the water temperature well enough. However mixing in the sugar as a catalyst and then sprinkling the yeast on top also helped.


Yesterday was day 2 of  attempting to make sandwich bread. I finished roughly at 12:30 am with this lot. Now there will be a lot tea sandwiches I suppose and nutella and Lady H made delicious plum jam ... so it won't go to waste. (Apparently you can freeze bread as well)

The household has been keeping up with The Great British Bake-off on PBS and so there is a lot of sassy talk about how my "bake" or "crumb" is. There are general inquiries on the my color of my crust and they like to knock on my loaves of bread.

It was HM's birthday at work and she keeps my sanity in check everyday over there. Some newbies have come on board with their own flavor of friendship and baking skills so we decided to have a bit of a baking buffet for the office to celebrate. So ... I sort of, got busy.

Wednesday I should have a knitting post. I've just been trying to get some decent pictures for you. But my needles are definitely clickety clacking ...

15 comments:

  1. Oh my.....my mouth is watering over those peach scones.

    Back when Stephen lived at home I made Potato Sourdough bread every week. Now that it's just the two of us, I make good use of the artisan bread bakery in Titusville. Their onion/wild rice bread is to DIE FOR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw some of them on Twitter this morning and goodness they looked GOOD!!!!! Had to love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eldest watched the Great British Bake Off too, and now he always turns any pastry offering over and makes comments about soggy bottoms. Your baking looks delicious, I love the idea of putting peaches in the scones. I hope your back keeps improving. Good to know that you're knitting, I shall look forward to seeing what you've made. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry your back is taking forever to behave but one day you will be able to do stuff, I hope it's sooner :) lovely bread baking and I bet it was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bread looks perfect! Bet it tastes just as good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bread looks fabulous! I love to make bread...used to do it all by hand, but now I have a bread machine which is great - especially for the hot summers. Hope your back is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bread! Your's looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homemade bread is one of my food weaknesses - eating it, not making it. I've tried many times and just cannot make a decent loaf, even with a bread machine. ;o)

    I hope your back issues get better soon. Being unable to move without pain is not pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks yummy! My husband bakes bread, and sometimes he bakes a lot and freezes it. It works just fine.

    But nothing is better than just-baked bread! Good for you for your success.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When it comes to dealing with back pain - you're doing it right! Sitting or laying down too long is just as bad for you back. You've got to mix it up, a little activity, a little rest. It makes you seem crazy and restless to others, but it works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Homemade bread is the best! I always thought there should be a house spray of aroma of bread baking. Hope your back gets better real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoping you heal well and swiftly. And you could just post some of that bread to me? Right? It only has to cross umpteen states to get here. It will be fine. If the postman doesn't eat it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I want some bread now. Sadly too many WW points! ARGH. yours look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish you were getting better faster, your baking looks delicious!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete